Students currently or formerly enrolled in other UT-Austin degree programs who wish to enroll in architecture or interior design must submit an online Internal Transfer Application, due by March 1st. Applications will open in February.
Information Sessions 2016-2017
Please see our Internal Transfer FAQ and then join us in Goldsmith Hall, room 2.308, on one of the following dates to learn about the process for current University of Texas at Austin students to apply for internal transfer to the School of Architecture. All internal transfer applicants are required to attend one information session.
[Mon] September 12 at 3:00pm
[Thurs] September 22 at 3:30pm
[Wed] October 5 at 4:00pm
[Tues] October 11 at 3:30pm
[Mon] November 14 at 4:00pm
[Mon] February 6 at 4:00pm
[Thurs] February 9 at 3:30pm
Internal Transfer Application
The deadline to apply is March 1.
The School of Architecture is one of the smallest academic units at the University of Texas at Austin. We make it a priority to maintain effective faculty/student ratios in all of our studio and classroom settings in order to achieve the best possible educational environment. Thus, admission is offered to only a select number of qualified applicants each year.
In order to be eligible to apply, students must meet the following requirements:
- Attend one Internal Transfer Info Session
- Completion of at least 24 credit hours in-residence at UT Austin by the end of a spring semester
- Minimum 3.25 UT Austin GPA
- Submission of online UTSOA Internal Transfer application by the March 1st deadline
- Two (2) essays; prompts included in the online application
- Two (2) recommendation letters from UT faculty*
- Meet the criteria to transfer from one division to another within the University
* Letters of Recommendation may be sent or delivered to
School of Architecture, Campus Mail Code B7500
Goldsmith Hall, Room 2.308
Meeting the above requirements does not guarantee admission into the School of Architecture.
Emphasis is given to strong performance in university courses, especially those relevant to the degree program to which the applicant is applying.
Internal transfer applicants may apply to enter the first or second year in either the architecture or interior design program. When you apply you will select one of the options below.
- First Year: If admitted to internally transfer, students who apply to enter the first year of the program will enroll in ARC 310K Design I and ARC 311K Visual Communication I during the upcoming fall semester. There are no specific course prerequisites for this option. Applicants should register for the fall semester as if they are not going to be admitted. If admitted, academic advisors in the School of Architecture will assist students with registration for the required studio courses during the June and July add/drop periods.
- Second Year: If admitted to internally transfer, students who apply to enter the second year of the program must enroll in ARC 310K Design I and ARC 311K Visual Communication I during the first summer session, and ARC 310L Design II and ARC 311L Visual Communication II during the second summer session. Applicants for the architecture major are required to have credit for PHY 302K/102M (or PHY 303K/103M) and M 408C (or M 408K) prior to enrolling in these summer studio courses. Applicants may register during the April registration period for the summer courses. If a student is not admitted as an internal transfer students, the student may make schedule changes during the May add/drop period for summer sessions.
More information can be found at the Internal Transfer FAQ.