The School of Architecture has a Shopbot CNC Router with a 60" by 96" bed. The CNC Router is located in the Design Lab in Goldsmith Hall 1.108.
CNC Routing Hours
Can be found here
Each student must:
- Complete the Canvas course containing recordings of CNC software trainings.
- If not done already, complete the Design Lab's safety training.
- Prepare notes on your first CNC projects and any relevant files, then email the Lab staff to schedule time to plan and discuss.
- Borrow your free foam bit or purchase your other bit from the Technology Lab Service Desk in Sutton Hall. Reminder: students will be charged for damaged or broken foam bits upon return.
- Lab staff will assist you through the setup and cutting of your first project. If they are satisfied with your performance and progress, you will be added to the list of certified CNC users.
- Once you are certified, the Lab staff will continue to be available to consult on CNC projects as you develop.
Once the semester subscription is paid the machine is available on a first come, first served basis.
Use of the machine requires a $50 per semester subscription.
The Technology Desk offers 4'x4' sheets of 2" thick ($30) and 3" thick ($40) blue insulating foam. Students must source and supply any other materials, taking care to only use those in the list below. When using the CNC, bring your files on a USB drive and copy them to the CNC computer's desktop. Your files must use the template discussed below.
- Foam - 4'x4' sheets of 2" and 3" thick foam are available for purchase in the Technology Lab.
- Wood - Plywood is preferred to solid wood because of warping
- Formaldahyde-Free MDF (limited to maximum 1" thickness)
- MDF (non-Formaldahyde-Free or any thicknesses greater than 1")
- Before using any unlisted materials, please speak to an Technology Lab staff member.
Local material sources
- Polyplastics, 10201 Metropolitan Dr. Austin, TX 78758, 512-339-9293
- Austin Custom Foam, 1515 Dungan Lane, Austin, TX 78754, 512-834-3626
- Austin Fine Lumber, 9407 Brown Ln Austin, TX 78754, (512) 836-8990